Food preservation is one of the most important processes for basic survival. It includes techniques like canning, freezing, adding preservatives, salting and dehydrating. It is especially important for the winter season.
What is food dehydration and how helpful it is
Dehydration is the process, where 90% of the original moisture in meat, fruits, and vegetables are removed so that the food stays intact for at least a month without any refrigeration.
In previous times the food was dried under the sun by cutting it into thin slices. However, nowadays with the advancement of technology, These devices which are available in the market and can help to simplify the process of dehydration.
Dehydration’s most important benefits include:
- No chemicals and preservatives.
- No colors, flavors or additives.
- The taste is concentrated as it dehydrates well. You get the natural taste, which tastes good.
- The size of shrinks to half of its size and thus can be stored easily In the freezer for months.
- All the nutrition like vitamins and minerals are preserved due to dehydration.
- It also allows you to save money by purchasing large qantity at the same time.
Are you someone who would like to dehydrate food so that it can last for an extended period of time?
If so Then choose from some of the best models that can dry everything.
Before buying one, you should ask yourself these 3 questions:
- What kind of food do you want to dehydrate?
- How much food do you plan to dry?
- How often do you plan to use the machine?
Top Products For 2017
Check out some of these choices for 2017
1# Nesco FD-75A Snackmaster Pro
It is a 600-watt unit that can do it fast. The opaque exterior helps to block all harmful lights, and you would not have to rotate the trays.
Dry’s all kinds of fruits and vegetables in just a few hours instead of days.
The unit comprises of a Converga-Flow drying system that forces down air into the exterior pressurized chamber and then horizontally across each tray for fast and nutritious results.
The flavors do not mix, and you would not have to rotate the trays.
The fan prevents the liquids from dripping into the heater chamber.
It measures 13-inch by 13-inch by 10-inch and is available in a speckled gray design. It comes with five free tray racks and a free booklet of recipes.
2# Excalibur 3926TB
This is a great machine that will help get the job done in the appropriate way.
The box unit provides nine easy to access trays with 15 feet of drying space.
The rear heat source with horizontal airflow provides complete drying with their Hyper-wave fluctuation technology.
The dryer features a 26-hour timer and highly accurate thermostat that can be controlled from 105 to 165 degrees.
The large unit is around 17 by 19 inches wide with a height of 12 inches that is pretty big
3# Deni 7200
The Deni provides a 480 square inches of drying space for different kinds of fruits, vegetables, herbs and meat.
It is a BPA-free model that is affordable and economical as well.
The model is imbibed with a bottom mounted heater and a fan that provides a balanced result.
It provides you with six square trays that allow you to dry a wide variety.
4 # Nesco Garden Master FD 1040
The Nesco Garden Master is one of the most premium products in the Nesco line of products.
It provides superior control of the drying process.
The Converga-flow system with a digital temperature and timer system helps in the drying process.
The 1000 watts unit maintains your desired temperature between 90-160 degrees for up to 48 hours.
The base model has 4 trays but is expandable to 20 trays if desired.
5# The Warring Pro DHR 30
The Warring Pro is a bare bone food dehydrator that comes at an affordable price.
Though the equipment does not have any timer, it offers you crude temperature control with only a fan.
This particular dryer is not one of the most professional ones in the market but it is best for new users.
The three settings, thermostat makes it easy to use and it is packed with all the basic features that help you to enjoy great functions.
6# Presto 6300
The Presto 6300 electric food dehydrator has a four-tray system for dehydrating food in a fraction of a second.
It helps you get results with no additives or preservatives.
It also has a see-through cover to monitor the drying process on the top tray.
The bottom-mounted fan and heating elements provide consistent drying for the best results.
The drying trays and the covers are dishwasher safe.
It has an easy to store drying tray for compact storage.
There are four drying trays that can be expanded to eight trays for added capacity.
7# Tribest Sedona SD-P9000 Digitally Controlled
The Sedona is an 110 V model that has an easy on and off power button switch with electronic digital temperature control and timer button.
It is a quiet and efficient energy saving operation with a see-through glass door.
The BPA-free plastic trays and tray mesh screens help you to do it in an effective way.
The Dual fan technology also contributes to cooling the air around and prevents leakage of oil and water.
The easy to read Led settings assists to program the machine.
The Sedona offers a total of 600 Watts using two independent 300-watt fans, two heating coils, and two heat sensors that are simultaneously controlled.
8# Ronco 5-Tray Electric
If you are a really calorie conscious person who loves eating healthy stuff, then you can create your own healthy snacks easily at home with the help of Ronco 5-Tray dryer.
Whip of a batch of beef or turkey jerky or even fruits like banana, plum, pineapple, herbs, vegetables and homemade yogurt.
This comes with a free recipe booklet that will guide you as to how to make the best kind.
125-watt with 5 interchangeable trays.
Electrical heating coil helps the content dry evenly in a balanced form.
Can operate at a temperature up to 133 degrees F.
It comes with a one-year warranty period.
Making beef jerky in a dehydrator
Various Dehydrators in the market can help you to make beef jerky in a jiffy. Here is how you can make beef jerky, using the 8 appliances mentioned above
- Use a lean piece of meat that has as little fat as possible. Fat usually spoils the shelf life of the jerky. This can either be round, bottom round, top round or flank steak.
- Trim off the visible fat from the meat.
- Place the beef in the freezer so that it freezes for a while.
- Mix with marinade and cut into thin strips.
- Now keep in a container for some days till the beef is properly marinated.
- Now take the beef strips and place on the dehydrator. Leave some spaces between them so that they a dry evenly. Depending on how thick your slices are, your beef jerky would be dehydrated.
- Check your jerky from time to time so that it is not overdried. Now store the jerky in zipping log bags so that it can be consumed from time to time.
How to dehydrate fruits and vegetables in Dehydrator
- Start with fresh fruits and vegetables that are firm and fresh. Ripe vegetables will not yield good results.
- Clean all the fruits properly and slice them evenly into pieces
- You can oxidize other fruits like apple, peach, and plum with citric acid before this so that the color of the fruit is retained
- You can add salt, sugar or spices if needed.
- Now take the fruit strips and place them in the dehydrator. Leave some spaces between them so that they a dry evenly. Depending on how thick your slices are, your fruit slices would be dehydrated.
- Check your fruits from time to time so that it is not over dried. Now store the fruit in zip
- log bags so that it can be consumed from time to time.
These are the various ways in which you can dehydrate beef jerky and fruits in a dehydrator. Try it out in one of the above for best results.
Summing Up For The Final Time
Food Dehydrators are one of the most common requirements for your home. So the best point for you would be to pick up any one of these above 8 Dehydrators today and enjoy the dehydrated food.